Manufacturer's Purchase Credit (MPC)
Manufacturer’s Purchase Credit (MPC) will sunset August 30, 2014.
- MPC cannot be earned on purchases with an invoice date of August 31, 2014 or later.
- Taxpayers must file the required earning report (ST-16 MPC, Annual Report of Manufacturer’s Purchase Credit Earned) by June 30, 2015 to report the MPC earned for periods between January 1 and August 30, 2014.
- Taxpayers must file the required usage report (ST-17 MPC, Annual Report of Manufacturer’s Purchase Credit Used) to report the MPC used during calendar year 2014 by June 30, 2015. If the taxpayer has remaining MPC that is used in subsequent years, the taxpayer must file the ST-17 by June 30th of the year following usage.
- Taxpayers may use any available MPC until it expires (which, if properly reported, is on December 31st of the second calendar year following the calendar year in which it was earned).
NOTE: This notice supersedes the provisions of the MPC regulation (86 Ill. Adm. Code 130.331), which inadvertently prohibited the usage of MPC on and after August 31, 2014. Section 130.331 is being amended to reflect the provisions of this notice.
- Taxpayers can use available MPC to pay production-related audit liability.
- All other procedures regarding MPC usage remain the same as prior to the sunset.
Beginning September 1, 2004, qualifying manufacturers may earn a Manufacturer's Purchase Credit (MPC). The MPC is earned when a manufacturer purchases manufacturing or graphic arts machinery and equipment that qualifies for the existing sales/use tax exemptions. MPC may be used to pay state sales or use tax on future purchases of qualifying production-related tangible personal property.
All unused MPC expires the last day of the second calendar year following the year in which the original tax-exempt purchase was made. MPC may not be transferred to another party.
The MPC is equal to half of the 6.25% state tax that would have been owed if the purchase was not otherwise exempt.
- Form ST-16-C, Manufacturer's Purchase Credit Certificate
- Form ST-16, Annual Report of Manufacturer's Purchase Credit Earned
- Form ST-16-X, Amended Annual Report of Manufacturer's Purchase Credit Earned
- Form ST-17, Annual Report of Manufacturer's Purchase Credit Used
- Form ST-17-X, Amended Annual Report of Manufacturer's Purchase Credit Used
- FY 2005-05 - Miscellaneous Sales and Use Tax Changes