Skip to main content
Taxpayer Answer Center

Quick Links

Information For

About IDOR


IL-1040 Important Reminders

IL-1040 WebFile is no longer available. MyTax Illinois has replaced WebFile as the new free electronic filing option for Form IL-1040, Individual Income Tax Return. For more information about MyTax Illinois for individuals, see Informational Bulletin 2014-02.

Please review the reminders below:

Debit Card

Example credit card

Get your tax refund on a debit card. Avoid costly check-cashing fees. It is easy and convenient. You can use the card at banks and credit unions displaying the VISA logo, at ATMs, and at retail stores and gas stations around the state. There’s even an ATM locator so you can find the cash machine closest to your home. Just select debit card when you are asked how you want to receive your refund.

Illinois Property Tax Credit

If you qualify for the Illinois Property Tax Credit, you will need your property number, sometimes called "property index number", "parcel number" or "permanent index number." This number is located on your county tax bill or assessment notice.

If your property tax is paid through your mortgage, you can contact your lender for a copy of your bill. You may also get this number from your county assessor's office. Click here for a list of counties.

Don’t Forget to Calculate Your Illinois Use Tax

Illinois Use Tax is a form of sales tax that you, as the purchaser, owe on items that you buy for use in Illinois. If the seller does not collect this tax from you, you must pay the tax to the Illinois Department of Revenue (IDOR). The most common purchases on which the seller does not collect Illinois Use Tax are those made through the internet, from a mail order catalog, or when traveling outside Illinois.  See the IL-1040 Instructions for further details.