Filing for a Deceased Taxpayer
When you are filing a joint return as a surviving spouse,
- print your name and your spouse’s name on the appropriate lines.
- write “deceased” and the date of death above your spouse’s name.
- sign your name in the area provided for your signature, and write “filing as surviving spouse” in place of the
If you, as the surviving spouse, are due a refund, the refund will be issued directly to you.
When you are filing a return on behalf of a single deceased taxpayer,
- print the name of the taxpayer on the appropriate line.
- write “deceased” and the date of death above the decedent’s name.
- write “in care of,” and the executor’s name and address.
A personal representative, such as an executor or administrator must sign and date the return. The representative’s title and telephone number must be provided.
If a refund is due, attach Form IL-1310, Statement of Person Claiming Refund Due a Deceased Taxpayer.