File Form IL-1040-X, Amended Individual Income Tax Return, on MyTax Illinois
Starting with 2013, you can use MyTax Illinois to electronically file your Amended Individual Income Tax Return. It’s fast, easy, and free.
You are eligible to file your IL-1040-X via MyTax Illinois if you
- filed Form IL-1040 electronically for the tax year you want to amend; and
- have created a MyTax Illinois account. Use the links in right-hand column to either create or access your MyTax Illinois account.
Some common documents you may need to help you file are
- a copy of your original IL-1040, including any departmental corrections, for the tax year you want to amend;
- a copy of your U.S. 1040X or U.S. 1045;
- proof of federal finalization for your U.S. 1040X or U.S. 1045;
- a copy of any refund check and any other notification you received from the IRS stating they accepted the changes shown on your U.S. 1040X or U.S. 1045; and
- account transcript from the IRS or examiner’s report.
CREATE a MyTax Illinois account to file your return
ACCESS your MyTax Illinois account to file your return
Do I need to file Form IL-1040-X?
You should filed Form IL-1040-X, Amended Individual Income Tax Return if
- you discover that you made an error on your Illinois return after it was filed; or
- you filed a U.S. 1040X or the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) adjusted your federal return and the change affects your Illinois return.
NOTE: If the federal change results in a refund, do not file Form IL-1040-X until you receive notification that your change has been accepted by the IRS.
What about my refund?
You can check the status of your refund here: Where’s my refund?
I received a Return Correction Notice (RCN). What should I do?
Please respond to the RCN as directed.