Skip to main content
Taxpayer Answer Center

Quick Links

Information For

About IDOR

Non-Profit Orgs.

Non-Profit Organizations

Statue of Lincoln and Douglas debates

If you are a Non-Profit Organization and you wish to apply for an Exempt (E) number, your organization should send a cover letter using your organization's letter head requesting the exemption, and include a copy of the following:

There is no fee for this service and no form is provided by the Illinois Department of Revenue. A charitable organization isn't necessarily qualified because it has a charter from the Secretary of State’s office designating it as a not-for-profit corporation, or an exemption from federal taxes under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Although the information is relevant, it doesn't prove the charitable nature of the organization.

Click here for information on how to renew your Sales Tax Exemption Status.

Please refer to the Illinois Administrative Code; Section 130.2007.

The information outlined above should be sent to the following address:

Illinois Department of Revenue
Sales Tax Exemption Section 3-520
101 W Jefferson St
Springfield, IL 62702-5145

For more information please refer to PIO-37, Sales & Property Tax Exemptions, or refer to our "Publication 104" for a list of common sales tax exemptions. This publication identifies several of the most common sales tax exemptions, explains how retailers and service persons must document sales of tax-exempt items, and provides references to the Illinois Administrative Code for each exemption. For a complete listing refer to the Illinois Administrative Code; Section 130.120.

Find answers to your frequently asked tax questions and more with our Taxpayer Answer Center. If you are unable to find your answer after searching the Taxpayer Answer Center, you will be able to email us through this system by clicking the "Send an Email" Tab at the top of the screen or phone us at 217 782-8881.